Late August into early September is one of the busiest times of year for moving. Students are returning to their college apartments and rentals are changing tenants. And, in recent years, the number of people renting an apartment is rising. However, with the convenience of renting come the cons, one of which is the possibility of a pest infestation. Shared walls, close living quarters, and connected utilities make it easy for pests to move from one apartment to another and also make it difficult to find the source of the infestation. Common pests that plague apartment buildings and townhouse units include bed bugs, cockroaches, flies, and rodents.
If you’re moving into a rental unit in the coming weeks, follow these simple tips to keep those unwanted houseguests away:
Proof Against Apartment Pests
- Vacuum regularly
- Dispose of garbage on a daily basis in covered receptacles located outdoors
- Keep your kitchen tidy. Sweep on a daily basis, wash dishes after use, wipe up crumbs and spills on the counters and floors.
- Store food in airtight containers and keep them on high shelves.
- Notify your landlord of any leaky pipes or areas of moisture and insist that they get fixed quickly.
- Pests, like bed bugs, often hide in furniture so be very cautious when accepting or buying used pieces. Be sure to give them a good inspection and cleaning before bringing them into your home.
- Keep clutter to a minimum – pests love to hide in piles of clothes and in boxes.
- Seal entry points.
We at Freedom Pest Control are experienced in exterminating pests from multi-unit apartments. Please call us today at 1-877-PESTS-55 for more information!