We recently introduced you to carpenter ant swarmers, the winged version of a carpenter ant that leaves its colony to mate and start its own. Often confused with termites, carpenter ants tunnel through wood to build nests and can be difficult to locate. This tunneling can create a great deal of structural damage so proofing your home against them before they appear is super important.
Read on for tips on how to prevent against carpenter ants:
- Identify any areas in the home where there is moisture and correct the problem immediately. These would include roof, drainage, and plumbing leaks.
- Remove any tree limbs and branches outside your home that may serve as “bridge” to the inside.
- Seal up doors, windows, and cracks in the foundation that may serve as an entry point.
- Be fastidious about cleanliness. Make sure to clean up food crumbs and drink spills immediately. Remember, carpenter ants are attracted to sweet foods.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Carpenter ants frequently nest in firewood so be sure to stack it outside and away from your home. You may also want to elevate your pile so it does not sit flush against the soil.
If you suspect that you may already have a carpenter ant infestation, or have found carpenter ant swarmers around your home, please contact a professional immediately. The damage that they cause can be quite devastating! We at Freedom Pest Control can help, please call us at 877-PESTS-55 for a free quote!