Everything Merrimac Residents Should Know About Ant Control
June 3, 2022
Merrimac is a charming small town bordering New Hampshire in Essex County, Massachusetts, and is about thirty-four miles from the bustling city of Boston. Besides the difficulties that winters in the North East can pose, residents of Merrimac also frequently have to deal with intrusions of invasive pests that cause problems in their homes. One of the most frequent unwanted guests that homeowners in Merrimac face are ants. Learn more about ants on your property and why pest control in Merrimac is important.
What Types Of Ants Typically Enter Homes?
There are over twelve thousand species of ants, but only a few will commonly enter homes. Ants are primarily a nuisance pest, but they can also contaminate food, spread disease, and some species can potentially cause damage to your property
The types of ants that typically enter homes are:
- Pharoah ants: Small yellow ants, pharaoh ant size is typically about 1/32 of an inch in length. Pharaoh ants are attracted to foods high in sugar and protein.
- Odorous house ants: Odorous ant sizes are usually between 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch in length, and these ants feed on sugary foods as well. They get their name from their defense mechanism of releasing an odor when threatened to deter predators.
- Pavement ants: Pavement ants are named for their preference to build nests and live in and around sources of pavement. These ants are typically darker shades of black and brown and generally are around 1/8 of an inch in length.
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are the largest and most dangerous of the ants that will commonly enter homes. These ants can grow up to half an inch in length and come in various shades of black and brown. These ants tunnel inside of wood to build nests and can cause severe damage to property.
If you have seen ant activity in your home or on your property, feel free to reach out to the experts at Freedom Pest Control for information on how to prevent and get rid of these pests.
Ant Infestations Can Cause Major Problems In Your Home
Although ants are mainly a nuisance and not a significant threat to your safety, there are risks that they present if they infest your home. The main dangers that ants pose when they enter a home are the contamination of food and the spread of disease. Ants are omnivores that primarily enter homes in search of a source of food. They will climb all over your house to reach anything they can find while carrying disease-ridden bacteria all over their bodies.
In addition to spreading disease, carpenter ants specifically can cause damage to any wooden parts of your property. These ants burrow deep into the wood to create nests and colonies and, if left untreated, can cause serious and costly damage to your home.
Easy And Effective Ant Prevention Tips
Although a full-on infestation will require professional pest control services to eliminate, there are practical ways for homeowners to reduce the chances that their home becomes a target.
Simple but effective ways to reduce the chance of an ant infestation include:
- Regularly emptying trash bins
- Properly storing food and cleaning up spills and leaks
- Repairing and sealing any cracks in your home that ants could enter through
Reach out to our team of ant pest control experts at Freedom Pest Control for prevention advice on how to safeguard your home from ants and other pests.
Total Ant Control For Merrimac Homes
Practicing pest prevention on your property is an essential and practical part of total ant control, although infestations can still occur despite your best efforts. Freedom Pest Control, a local Merrimac pest control specialist, is here to help if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation.
Our team of certified and highly trained pest technicians has experience dealing with ants and the various other pests that cause problems for Merrimac residents. We will work with you to create a custom home pest control or commercial pest control plan designed for your specific situation. Call us today; we provide free estimates on our services and offer flexible scheduling options.