How To Keep Your Merrimac Property Termite-Free
March 4, 2022
Termites are tricky pests because they’re active year-round, posing a problem to Merrimac homeowners all 365 days of the year.
Termites are sly pests, as they can infest Merrimac homes for years until they’re noticed, all the while causing extensive damage to wooden structural components of the home, as well as to wooden items, such as furniture. It’s no wonder why these pests are called the “silent destroyers.”
Read on for more about the termite season in Merrimac, as well as how to know if your Merrimac home has termites and what an infestation looks like. Freedom Pest Control offers effective solutions for removing termites from Merrimac homes, and we’ll tell you how we can help.
When Is Termite Season In Merrimac?
Termites are the kind of pest that’s active year-round, meaning that once they’ve found their way indoors, they can survive relatively pleasantly in a home.
However, termites may become more noticeable when they swarm, when winged adult termites break away from their colonies to create new ones. Swarming usually occurs in the daytime, but it can happen in heated structures during the winter.
The time of year that termites swarm depends on the species of termite you’re dealing with. Here are the most common termite species in Merrimac and the time of year when they swarm. The most common termites to inhabit Merrimac homes are subterranean termites, which swarm in the spring and summer on hot, wet days.
How Do I Know If My Merrimac Home Has Termites?
If you have termites in your Merrimac home, you’ll notice four telltale signs:
- Swarming, as noted above, and its aftermath—shed wings discarded in and around your home, is a sign of an infestation.
- Termite frass, or termite droppings, collect in a mound underneath tunnel openings. Frass looks similar to coffee grounds, and tunnels are small holes the size of a pinpoint that termites make in drywall.
- Hollow-sounding wood, which is the result of extensive termite damage in your home, indicating the wood has been eaten from the inside out.
- Clicking noises, which are the sounds that termites make to communicate with one another that you may hear from inside of your walls.
What Does A Termite Infestation In Merrimac Look Like?
If you have an infestation in your Merrimac home, you’ll likely notice the following signs of a termite infestation:
- Live termites in and around your property, such as in the soil, rotting wood, rotting foundations, and other high-moisture areas.
- Mud tubes, which termites create using a combination of dirt and their saliva, and used to travel between open spaces, such as the space between the foundation of a home and where the wooden beams and boards overlap.
- Damage to wood and wooden structures, which may darken, blister, bend, or even break entirely due to termite damage.
- Damage in the home may take the shape of buckling walls or floors or drooping drywall.
How Does Freedom Pest Control Get Rid Of Termites In Merrimac?
Freedom Pest Control has been serving the residents of Merrimac for more than 25 years, and we know a thing or two about how to handle termites.
All of our services start with an initial inspection of your home, during which we will look thoroughly for signs of any damage or entryways for existing pests. Then, we’ll determine the most effective pest control plan for your home and property.
If you suspect you may have termites in your Merrimac home, don’t wait for damage to be incurred before taking action. Contact the professionals at Freedom Pest Control for help today at 877-737-8755.