Portsmouth Homeowners' Helpful Spider Prevention Guide
March 8, 2022
Arachnophobia, or fear of spiders, is one of the most common fears people can have, but even if you aren’t afraid of spiders, you still do not want them hanging around your house for many reasons. While a few spiders here and there might not be an issue for you, a spider invasion can quickly become a costly problem. Learn the reasons why spiders come into houses, why you don’t want spiders hanging around your home, and five natural ways to stop spiders from coming in such as essential oils to repel spiders. As with most pests, DIY remedies are not always successful, so if home remedies to get rid of spiders don’t prove to be enough, Freedom Pest Control provides pest control in Portsmouth that will leave your home spider-free.
Why Spiders Come Into Houses
Spiders usually come into homes either to prey on the various insects that might be living there, or to build their nest in a safe place. Here is a list of what might be attracting spiders to your own home specifically:
- Spiders like to feast on bugs that are attracted to damp areas, and they seek warmth to build their nests, so heat and humidity may attract spiders and the pests they prey on.
- Lights left on all night will attract spiders as well as other types of pests.
- Open trash cans will attract flies, fruit flies, and more, which are a favorite source of food for spiders.
- Some plants attract spiders.
- Water will attract spiders that need it to survive.
- Existing spiders might attract new ones to join them in your home.
By keeping your home dry, turning off unnecessary lights, keeping trash cans closed, and avoiding plants that attract spiders, you are taking important steps toward keeping a spider-free home. This is important for the reasons we will cover below.
Why You Don't Want Spiders Hanging Around Your House
While it is true that spiders are not generally harmful, they can still attract other spiders which can be venomous, including black widow spiders, which can be found in Portsmouth. They can also quickly invade your home with nests that are sticky and hard to get rid of, and lay their eggs in corners which will later hatch, unleashing hundreds or even thousands of spiders in your home. If your first inclination is to get rid of spiders naturally, read on for a list of several home remedies to get rid of spiders that may help deter spider activity.
Five Natural Ways To Stops Spiders From Coming Into Your Home
Spiders can be difficult to get rid of, but you can get a head start if you don’t currently have an infestation. Here is a handy list of five natural ways you can use to stop spiders from coming into your homes.
- Use essential oils to repel spiders. Spiders may be repelled by peppermint, orange, lemon, lime, eucalyptus, citronella, cedarwood, tea tree, and lavender essential oils. Use them in diffusers or locally where spiders might be present. Make sure that the oils are safe for the surfaces where you might use them and safe for pets or humans.
- You can make sprays to keep spiders away by mixing the essential oils above with water, or a mix of vinegar and water. You can spray these mixtures directly on the spiders as well, or use the water and vinegar spray to clean surfaces like kitchen counters.
- You can get rid of spiders naturally with indoor plants that repel spiders, such as peppermint, basil, lavender, citronella, lemon balm, and chrysanthemum.
- Remedy any leaks or drips from faucets, showerheads, and other fixtures. Moisture will attract spiders and their prey.
- Keep your home organized and dust-free. If spiders don’t have accessible hiding places, they are less likely to settle into your house.
DIY prevention methods are limited in effectiveness, and will not be of much help once you have a spider infestation. For safe and reliable spider control, contact the professionals at Freedom Pest Control.
Professional Pest Control Is The Key To Total Spider Control
Spiders can be a nuisance especially if they are present in large numbers. If DIY methods like making your own spray to keep spiders away aren’t working out as well as you would like, it's time to contact the professionals. Freedom Pest Control can answer all your questions about effectively keeping your home safe and free of spiders.