What To Do About Flying Squirrels In Merrimac
January 17, 2022
While their name might suggest that this squirrel species is capable of flight, it is not entirely true. Instead, they can glide through the air as they jump from tree to tree. This is possible due to the flap of skin between their back and front legs.
To identify flying squirrels, look for the following:
- Between 5 ½ to 6 3/8 of an inch long
- A bushy tail that is between 3 ½ to 4 ½ inches long
- Short, thick fur that can vary in color from white to gray to brown with a litter color stomach
- Large black eyes
While flying squirrels are pretty cool to see, you have to remember that they can cause the same problems as gray squirrels and other rodents if they get into your home. This is why Merrimac residents should know about the proper way to get rid of flying squirrels.
The Proper Way To Get Rid Of Flying Squirrels
Like other squirrel species, flying squirrels tend to get inside homes when the weather is cold. Due to their gliding and climbing skills, this pest can enter a residential property through the roof and make a nest in attics.
Flying squirrels are protected game animals in many areas. Because of this, exclusion methods are the best way to keep them out of your home.
Exclusion is a modern pest control method that focuses on preventing pests from infesting without haphazardly spraying harmful chemicals all over a property. These methods are safe and beneficial to people, the environment, and even the animals that try to get inside.
When using exclusion, experts will focus on reinforcing areas of a property to make them less vulnerable to pests. They will also consider what is causing a property to be attractive to specific pests and remove those factors to reduce the likelihood of pests wanting to make a home in the area.
Of course, you can inspect and seal your home, implementing prevention tips along the way to reduce pest activity, but you can never go wrong with professional pest control. Experts in the industry understand the nuisances of certain pests that are more challenging to prevent and remove, and without this knowledge, anything you do in your home may prove to be a waste of time and money.
Ask The Professionals For More Help With Flying Squirrels
For more advice or assistance with flying squirrels or any other species on your Merrimac property, contact the pros at Freedom Pest Control.
Flying squirrels are covered under our wildlife control process along with gray and red squirrels and other wildlife common to the area.
Our wildlife control process includes:
- A thorough inspection is performed by one of our wildlife expert team members. During this inspection, we will identify the animal causing problems on your property, how it is getting inside, and what damage has been caused so far.
- Then, we will develop a plan to remove the wildlife humanely. Depending on the pest, treatment will include human traps or one-way doors.
- Once we have removed any active pests, we will implement exclusions methods to keep these pests from re-infesting.
- Last, we will help you plan professional cleaning and sanitization of the affected area. This is often necessary as wildlife can leave behind droppings, which is a hazard to human health.
Give us a call at Freedom Pest Control to learn more about the services we offer and how we can assist you with flying squirrels or other wildlife pests on your Merrimac property.