Encountering a paper wasp around your property is never a fun situation due to this pest’s aggressive nature and tendency to sting if they feel threatened. If you see a paper wasp hive on your property or want to invest in proper paper wasp removal, you should be reaching you to pest control in Portsmouth right away.
What Do Paper Wasps Look Like?
Wasp identification is essential if you want to determine which type of wasp is invading your property. Fortunately, a paper wasp hive is distinctive, and you can use the following tips to identify paper wasps that may be flying around your Portsmouth home:
- Paper wasps are brownish in color and commonly have yellow markings, though sometimes these markings are red.
- They will grow between half an inch and three-quarters of an inch long.
- Their waist is very thin, and they have six legs and antennae.
- The paper wasp nest will be made of grey or brown material that appears much like paper (hence this pest’s name) and has visible open honeycombs.
- The nests will be under the eaves of homes, decks, or garages or higher up in trees.
How Dangerous Are Paper Wasps?
Paper wasps can be a reasonably dangerous pest to invade your property due to their more aggressive nature. This pest tends to sting if it feels even remotely threatened, which can often happen if you stumble across a nest you didn’t realize was there. Besides being painful, these stings may trigger allergic reactions in specific individuals, some of which may even be as serious as to cause anaphylaxis and require immediate medical attention. Proper wasp removal can help prevent the dangers this pest brings.
Five Paper Wasp Prevention Tips
One of the first steps in learning how to get rid of wasps is implementing prevention tactics to keep this pest off your property. These five tips can help you with this:
- Refrain from leaving food and drink in outdoor areas, especially sugary items; the aromas attract wasps.
- Ensure that all outdoor compost piles are covered, outdoor pet food is protected, and outdoor trash cans have lids. This can make your property less attractive to wasps looking to scavenge.
- Address moisture issues or leaks around your property as excess water pools can attract paper wasps.
- Utilize plants that repel wasps, such as marigolds, citronella, and lemongrass. Put these around decks and patios or the foundation of your home for best effects.
- Keep exterior entrances closed as often as possible and seal up gaps in your home’s windows, doors, and foundation to ensure that wasps stay outside. Also, consider finishing wood as the smooth surface makes it less desirable to wasps.
And remember, only a professional wasp removal service like the one provided by Freedom Pest Control can help you safely combat an active infestation of this pest.
The Safest Form Of Wasp Control
To know how to get rid of wasps safely and effectively, you should contact Freedom Pest Control at the first sign of this pest. With help from our experts, you can receive proper wasp identification and a wasp removal service that considers your property’s exact needs. Our tailored solutions will eliminate any paper wasps infestations. We can ensure that you and your Portsmouth property remain protected from paper wasp reinfestation.