A rodent infestation can quickly grow out of control, which is why they're so important to prevent. Try these tips to deter rodents throughout the year:
- Seal up cracks in foundations with silicone-based caulk.
- Trim back overhanging trees.
- Store food in secure containers.
- Take out the trash on a regular basis.
- Never leave uncovered food on the counter.
- Fix leaky pipes.
Pest control in Merrimac can help reduce the presence of rodents and protect homeowners from the issues they cause. Contact Freedom Pest Control today for more information.
Types Of Rodents That Often Invade Merrimac Homes
Rodent invasions are some of the most common pest problems for Merrimac homeowners, but they’re not all the same. Here are the most common types of rodents that locals may encounter:
- Mice: Mice are pests that many Merrimac homeowners deal with and attract without their knowledge. These rodents enter homes through dime-sized openings or garage doors that get left open and primarily live out of sight in places like closets and basements. They are capable of spreading harmful pathogens and causing surprisingly extensive property damage.
- Rats: Homeowners jump at the mere thought of rats, which is understandable. They are larger than their other rodent counterparts, mice, but cause similar issues like the spread of hantavirus and leptospirosis and gnawing on electrical wiring. Rats are also tricky to deal with because unlike mice, they are very skilled climbers and can also take advantage of sewer systems.
- Squirrels: The squirrel is considered part of mother nature; however, they are also a pest that many local homeowners find loitering around their property. Just like rats and mice, squirrels are associated with serious health risks and their ease of spreading them. They can also quickly spread parasites like mites and ticks and when they end up inside homes, find themselves in attics and ruining insulation. The eastern gray squirrel is the species that most local homeowners will come across.
- Voles: These small and fuzzy rodents look like a children’s stuffed animal; however, the property damage that they cause is far less adorable. They live underground, so people rarely see them but the structural damage that they bring to lawns is unmistakable. They build underground tunnels, which can look like sinking patches of grass and a browning lawn. Voles may also eat away at plants, trees, and shrubberies.
With professional rodent control in Merrimac, rodents don’t need to be an issue. At Freedom Pest Control, we provide homeowners with ongoing support against a wide variety of rodents. We implement ethical and long-lasting methods in order to eliminate active pressures and keep them from returning.
For more information on successfully deterring mice and rats in Merrimac, contact us today.
Rodents Spread Disease And Damage Property
Local homeowners are unfortunately no strangers to rodent problems because of the ease at which these problems develop. This is, however, a serious issue because of the health risks that rodents are linked with and the property damage that they can cause. For relatively small animals, mice, rats, and squirrels are all capable of causing some very large problems.
To start, rodents leave behind traces of urine and saliva, as well as piles of droppings that can potentially be very dangerous. These byproducts are often the source of the pathogens that cause salmonellosis, leptospirosis, hantavirus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, tularemia, and other illnesses. Rodents leave them behind everywhere from countertops and pantries to closets and inside of walls, which is how they cause passive danger. Rats, on the other hand, are known to be more aggressive, which is how the aptly named rat-bite fever spreads. Rodents are also known hosts of parasitic pests like ticks, mites, and fleas, which come with their own health risks like Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, murine typhus, and heartworm. These sorts of rodents can be very dangerous for people as well as their pets.
The property damage that rodents can cause is also extensive and many times, homeowners don’t see it coming. A common trait amongst this family of pests is their constant need to gnaw and chew, which they do to keep their front teeth from overgrowing. What this usually looks like for homeowners is damage to walls, furniture, personal belongings, and even electrical wiring. Rodents also chew at walls and molding in order to gain access to the warm conditions that insulation provides. They then proceed to take this as an opportunity to build their nests here and further hide their presence from people. When rodents get ahold of cables and cords, the worst-case scenario, but a realistic one, is house fires. Rodents are also likely to find shelter in basements, crawl spaces, closets, and attics because of their secluded nature.
Professional rodent control from Freedom Pest Control provides homeowners with the year-round services that they need in order to live without the fear of a potential infestation. These pests are stealthy and also multiply very quickly, which is why professional intervention is a must. Contact us today for more information about effective rodent control in Merrimac.
Five Effective Tips To Prevent Rodents In Your Home
When rodents invade your home, they have the ability to bring unwanted health risks and property damage to your door. And because of the rate at which they reproduce, the smartest thing you can do is prevent them. Here are five important tips to keep rodents off of your property:
- Seal openings big and small. Rodents are masters of fitting through small openings, so start by addressing any structural flaws that you find around your foundation. Materials like steel wool, silicone-based caulk, liquid foam, and wire mesh are all helpful for this step. You may also want to affix weatherstripping to loose windows and insert door sweeps where they’re needed.
- Create a tidy yard. Rats are very adept climbers, which is often how they enter homes like yours. Scale back any trees or hedges that may come in contact with your property to remove this bridge.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness. Rodents thrive in areas of clutter or because there is access to bits of food, which is why you’ll want to take a thorough look at the interior of your home. Get rid of stacks of old magazines, make sure that you put away piles of clean laundry, store snacks and leftovers in sealed containers, and take out the trash on a very regular basis.
- Address water issues. Another trait that rodents look for is water sources, which is why it’s so imperative to take a proactive approach to moisture. Look for leaks regularly in places like pipes and gutters, and fix the issues that you find. You’ll also want to keep your crawl spaces, basements, and closets well ventilated and make sure that you always shut off faucets completely to prevent drips.
- Contact a pest control company. Whether you’re looking to eliminate an active rodent infestation or prevent a new one, there is no replacement for the help of a professional. A seasoned pest expert has the tools, knowledge, and guarantee that can draw out these hazardous pests and install methods to keep them from returning.
At Freedom Pest Control, we are your most reliable solution for rodent prevention. With decades of experience, we understand how truly difficult these pests are to deter, which is why we provide services like installing exclusion, filling cracks and crevices, and providing further education on the subtle habit changes you can make. For more information on our rodent prevention offerings, please call us today.
Contact The Pros For The Most Effective Rodent Control For Your Home
Rodent invasions are some of the most common issues for homeowners like yourself but they don’t have to be. These pests are attracted to protection from the elements, water sources, and access to an ample food supply, all of which you may be providing them, unbeknownst to you. Along with the addition of their ability to fit through nearly any opening they find and their proclivity for infiltrating packages that have been sitting outside, rodents have become a very difficult pest to prevent. They are known spreaders of parasites like fleas and ticks as well as their own health hazards such as tularemia and rat-bite fever and reproduce nearly every few months, which means that populations can seemingly explode overnight. Luckily, there’s a solution. Professional rodent control is one of the wisest investments that you can make in your health and property as a homeowner.
At Freedom Pest Control, we have been the trusted local rodent experts since 1994 and we are dedicated to addressing all of your rodent concerns to this day. All of our methods are guided by our unwavering dedication to keeping you safe, which is why we test and develop new methods at our state-of-the-art facility and never provide any service that we wouldn’t be comfortable with in our own home. Each of the technicians that you’ll work with has been trained, vetted, and undergoes routine educational seminars so that we can always provide the most up-to-date service. We follow environmentally sustainable practices that you can feel good about and our offerings go far beyond product applications.
When we treat your home for rodents, we implement exclusionary methods that not only draw out rodents but that also work to deter them in the future. Our highly skilled technicians also provide you with education on the simple yet effective changes that you can implement in order to further reduce rodent attraction on your property. When you enroll in our rodent control program, we will monitor your home throughout the year and always monitor it for activity and conducive conditions. The result of this combination is safe and long-lasting results that work from season to season; we guarantee it.
For more information on our residential and commercial pest control services in Merrimac, including our rodent elimination offerings and how they can benefit your home, please call us today.